10 May 2013

My Workout Diary: The "30 Day Shred" PART 1

So I'm doing the 30 Day Shred. Oh yes I am. Bought my copy on eBay. For 15 bucks. Happiness. Thought I'd take you all along for the ride.

So. What is it? A gruelling workout DVD by Jillian Michaels (American Biggest Loser trainer). But the best bit is that it's a (less than) half an hour workout! I swiftly bought my copy after stumbling upon some incredible "before" and "after" shots on the net (or was it instagram...)
How often do you do it? Every day for 30 days (longer if you wish). You do Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for 10 days and then Level 3 for 10 days. Level 1 has 3 "circuits", each comprising of 3 minutes of strength training (weights), 2 minutes of cardio (jumping jacks, "butt kicks" etc) and 1 minute of abs (who knew there were this many ways to do sits ups!?! Apparently this is the best way to lose fat and build muscle. Sign. Me. Up.

You'll need: Hand weights (I bought mine on eBay) or 2 x 500ml water bottles and a yoga mat.
My hot tips: 1. Get all your gear out the night before. Yes. Socks, undies, everything. It helps a lot. 2. The minute you get up, start the DVD playing. It doesn't allow you to skip through all the copyright/warning/"Hi I'm Jillian" schpiel, so do this and by the time you're ready to go, the DVD will be too.
Day 1: (Level 1) Breezed through it (mostly!). The hour long walks and runs I've been doing for the past couple of weeks seem to have given me great leg strength. Sweated ALOT. PS Did Level 1 a second time later that day(!). I must have been on drugs.
Day 2: (Level 1) It's great knowing what to expect from the workout in advance. Today I did it in socks - while there's a lot of cardio, it's mainly on the spot stuff and my running shoes (Nike Lunar Glide, the best, bounciest running shoe EVER INVENTED!) just felt... clunky. That's them above with my new $3.99 neon laces from Rebel Sport.
Day 3: (Level 1) It hurts to brush my teeth. I'm blaming the push-ups (which I have never done in my life). Dug out my old Nike "Free Run" trainers today, much better. Still finding parts of the workout challenging (hello side lunges with weights), although other parts are getting easier (I'm making friends with my abs, slowly).
Day 4: (Level 1) Push ups are getting easier! Woohooooo! The other side lunge thingies with "anterior" weights? Not so much.
(above) Day 3: Done and dusted! Wearing Lorna Jane crop top, Pilot Athletic track pants, Nike Free run Trainers.
Day 5: (Level 1) As of today, I have seriously glowy, clearer, smaller-pored skin. All day long. Gillian, you have my heart.  
Day 6: (Level 1) I'm starting to panic at the thought of moving onto Level 2. Toying with the idea of doing Level 1 for a couple of extra days. Will I or won't I.... Must say though, I'm really enjoying my mornings. It's such a fast-paced, and relatively short workout, that it really does fly by. Oh and PS You. Will. Sweat.
Day 7: (Level 1) Although the mornings are freezing, I am doing the 30 Day Shred in a singlet and shorts. After around 3-4 minutes, I (quickly!) fling off the singlet. You will get warm people! And quickly!  
Day 8: (Level 1) Nothing to report except that I pointed to my "abs"this morning and Jasper just laughed at me. "You don't have abs Mum"! Ouch. PS He may have a point.

Day 9: (Level 1) I should mention at this point that I am still doing push ups on my knees. And Whoa. That's hard enough. At least I know how to do push ups now. I always wondered where exactly you put your arms...  
Day 10: (Level 1) Here's what going down: I have nailed it. Level 1 feels a lot easier now. Except for that bit (still!). I am sweating less. Virtually not at all anymore, which is interesting. I must be ready for Level 2. Bring it on! GULP.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of my 30 Day Shred Tonic-ettes!


  1. Here the site facilitates you to play the game Minecraft only on a map dynamically
    generated under your eyes or multiplayer on dedicated servers.
    in multiplayer alpha, if you have a tool and drop it
    then pick it back up, it gets fully repaired. Different types of food will refill your hunger bar at different

    Feel free to surf to my weblog minecraft Crack browser

  2. Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to know so much
    about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I feel that you simply can do with a few % too force the message
    house a little bit, but instead of that, that is excellent
    blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

    Feel free to visit my page - how to cheat on deer hunter 2014

  3. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.

    I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    Here is my site - hgh xl Reviews

  4. Ahaa, its nice discussion about this piece of writing here aat ths
    blog, I have read all that, so at this tim me also commenting here.

    Here is my web site; Chemist Direct Healthcare Products


Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop