18 October 2011

Food, glorious (and organic!) food: PART II

How hard it is to think of meal ideas 3 times a day, every day? It's a killer, right?! Throw the word "healthy" into that equation and it gets a whole lot gnarlier (dude). Admittedly, I've always been a big "salad" fan. And because of the resourceful Virgo in me, my lunches and dinners are almost always dictated by whatever veggies we have in the fridge - and if I may say so myself, I have a bit of a knack of making it work. Remember that TV chef a few years back called Aristos? He'd meet someone in the supermarket, look in their pantry and fridge then whip up a gourmet meal with whatever ingredients they had. Yeah. I'm a bit like him. And I constantly surprise myself. Here are a few you might want to try at home -  all mega-quick, super-duper easy, and crazy-delicious:

(above) Thinly sliced (raw) zucchini, mixed lettuce leaves, walnuts, lemon zest, parmesan and harissa/chilli. 
Dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, honey and garlic.

(above) I turned that...

(above) Into this! Cos (Romaine) lettuce leaves make a beautiful, crunchy wrap! I used smoked salmon, a tomato and avocado salsa and the walnut tapenade from the My New Roots Raw Tacos. I've been making it a lot - It goes gangbusters on just about everything! Here's the recipe: 

Walnut Taco Mix
1 cup raw walnuts
1 Tbsp shoyu (raw, unpasteurized soy sauce)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, chilli, harissa etc (more if you like it spicy!)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse just to mix. Don’t over-blend, or you will end up with walnut butter!

(above) Oh look! There it is again! This time with roast pumpkin, roast onion lettuce, and shredded coconut in a mountain bread wrap.

(above) And again (I told you it was good!). I made a waldorf salad of sorts with it - Celery, apple, chickpeas (to "oomph" it up), walnut mix and a beautiful, garlic-y continental parsley pesto.
Dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, honey and garlic.

(above) My breakfast almost every day is two jars of this "Green Smoothie" (and if I miss a day, I miss it like crazy!).  2 cups kale/baby spinach/silverbeet, 1 frozen banana, 1 lemon, 1T coconut oil, 1T chia seeds, handful of almonds. But it's slightly different every day - there's also goji berries, coconut milk, coconut water, almond butter, flax seed oil, pear, apple, macca powder and bee pollen to play around with?! Green smoothies sound disgusting, but they're a superb (and convenient) way of getting your green leafy veggies in and are DELICIOUS. Victoria Boutenko claims to be the pioneer of the green smoothie, and her books Green for Life and The Green Smoothie Revolution are fabulous. I literally inhaled both of them in 48 hours.

(above) This is one I'm very proud of. This was last week, on one of those nights that I had "nothing" in the fridge or pantry. Enter spaghetti and frozen edamame beans* (so much nicer than broad beans too!). Add toasted pine nuts, parmesan, chilli, lemon juice and olive oil. Success!
*Look for edamame in the freezer section of Asian supermarkets ($1.98 a bag).

(above) Smoked salmon and salsa (corn, tomato, onion, avocado, corainder, lemon zest, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and olive oil).

(above) Another day, another killer salad: Roast pumpkin, roast onion, green beans, avocado, feta (I love Barambah brand) and walnut tapenade.  
Dressing: Olive oil and lemon juice.

So there it is - "A week on my plate". I feel a Table Tonic cookbook coming on... I could call it: "Table (wait for it) Tonic"! PS Click to read Food Glorious Food Part 1. Bon Appetit Tonic-ettes!


  1. That pumpkin wrap and salad looks SO faboooooooooooooosh!!!

    Love it!!!!

    One of my favourite pastas is a pea one, simply steamed peas, lemon zest, chilli flakes and a smidge of fetta.

    So good and FRESH especially for summer.


  2. This post provides clear idea in support of the new people of blogging,
    that truly how to do blogging and site-building.

    Feel free to surf to my website - brot backen ohne kohlenhydrate

  3. When someone writes an piece of writing he/she keeps
    the thought of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.
    Therefore that's why this paragraph is perfect. Thanks!

    Visit my homepage :: Diät bei Zöliakie

  4. If some one wants expert view on the topic of blogging and site-building afterward i advise
    him/her to go to see this webpage, Keep up the nice job.

    Take a look at my web-site: steinzeit diät

  5. I got this site from my buddy who told me concerning this web page and at the moment this time I am browsing this web site and reading very informative
    articles at this place.

    Also visit my web page; ernährung

  6. Howdy I am so delighted I found your site, I really found you
    by mistake, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I
    am here now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post
    and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic b.

    my web page; diets that work fast

  7. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering which blog platform are you using for
    this site? I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Feel free to surf to my site :: paläo ernährung
    Also see my website - paläo diät

  8. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, as well as the content!

    my site - lenkmatte hq

  9. Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this website, because i want
    enjoyment, as this this web site conations truly good funny information

    my web-site ... steuerberatungskanzleien in wiesbaden
    Also see my site :: steuerberatung frankfurt

  10. Gday! This is the second time visiting now and I personally just wanted to say I
    truley get pleasure from looking through your website.
    I have decided to bookmark it at stumbleupon.com with
    the title: Blogger: Table Tonic and your URL: http://www.

    I hope this is okay with you, I'm making an attempt to give your wonderful blog a bit more exposure. Be back soon.

    Here is my page: http://www.business5to5.co.uk/Gymnastics-Clipart-And-Memories.htm
    my webpage > gymnastics clothing

  11. Hi there, its fastidious article concerning media print,
    we all be familiar with media is a wonderful source of facts.

    Feel free to visit my page: does raspberry ketones work


Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop