02 September 2011

Saturday in Design 2011 by Stephanie Powell

Huge thanks to Stephanie Powell, Home Beautiful 's Style Editor (that's her below) for sharing this fabulous post on her experience at Saturday in Design 2011.

Saturday morning and the sun came out to shine upon Saturday in Design, the design festival that graces Sydney every second year. There was an excitement in the air and showrooms all over the city were launching new design collections from furniture to lighting, with creative workshops and talks by leading designers. I was lucky enough to be given the all-new Accent sedan by Hyundai to test drive. It took the stress out of parking and I was even able to fit a suprisingly large purchase into it and I love cars with a generous amount of room for shopping!

Great Dane Furniture
The showroom was bustling with visitors, inspiring displays, and a workshop by the wonderful Suzie Stanford
who was making necklaces out of cork and leather. But what caught my eye most was the Float light pendants hanging en masse in a cluster from the ceiling. As I stood underneath them I was mesmorised by their warm golden light. Made from cork they’re light-weight and as soft as silk to touch. I had the pleasure of meeting the man behind the design, industrial designer Benjamin Hubert:
So Benjamin, what are the top three trends for 2011? I think trends are superficial so I can’t really answer that. We always look at pushing things forward by allowing the process to be the typology of the product. 
What do you love most about Sydney? I’d have to say that having the ocean and beautiful coastal walks within such close proximity to the city is quite breathtaking.
If there’s one piece of design that you’d like to be remembered by what would it be?
The Maritime chair for Casamania. I’m very interested in construction and this particular chair was led from the ship building industry. It uses minimal plywood supported by an external structure.

(above) Suzie Stanford's cork workshop at Great Dane Furniture

(above) Benjamin Hubert with his Float lights

(above) Benjamin Hubert with his designs at Great Dane Furniture

(above) Maritime chair by Benjamin Hubert

I arrived at Hub in time for tea to admire amongst many things the launch of British label SCP’s new sofas modelling eccentric turned legs, I think it was love at first sight! The showroom is committed to offering well-designed pieces in beautiful materials and high quality features, it never fails to make my heart skip a beat when I enter the showroom.

(above) SCP's stunning new sofa at Hub Furniture

I managed to grab a few minutes with furniture designer Andrew Lowe of Lowe Furniture for a cuppa, to discuss the beauty of his timber furniture. Andrew is married to the lovely Jacqueline Foti-Lowe, Director of Hub Furniture
and he’s one of the most genuine down-to-earth designers I’ve ever met. They have two and a half year old twins and still manage to go great guns with both their businesses.
What inspires your designs?
I have many different inspirations. For example the Coltrane table was named after John Coltrane as I was listening to his music whilst working on this design. I used to cycle to and from work and I noticed a bridge with a cantilever scenario that inspired the legs of my table.
If there’s one piece of design that you’d like to be remembered by what would it be?
The new Stirling table in walnut with cross banding, and the Atticus table, designers from Europe have just loved it.
Are you passionate about your work?
I really enjoy what I do, I can’t imagine doing anything else now, I studied furniture design and I’ve been doing this for over 10 years. I finished working on our new sunlounger at 5.10pm Wednesday night and drove it up from Melbourne to Sydney.

(above) Sun lounger by Lowe Furniture at Hub Furniture

(above) Hub Furniture's showroom.

Livingedge was nearly bursting at the seams with an excitable crowd fuelled by the delights from Longrain’s amazing cocktails and nibbles combined with the launch of fresh new furniture and lighting designs. I grabbed a passion fruit and lychee concoction and headed along to the Launch Pad exhibition of upcoming designers held on the 3rd floor. Among the highlights were Coco Reynold’s Thread Light, Tip stool by Adam Weaver, the Branch chair by Julian Faelli/Vaughn Howard, and Robert Rulli’s Embrace: Innovative Flatware. On my way downstairs I couldn't help but covet the Butte boxes by Scholten & Baijings for Established & Sons. I love their contrast of bright colour and natural timber. 

(above) The Thread Light by Coco Reynolds

(above) The Tip stool by Adam Weaver

(above) The Branch Chair by Julian Faelli/Vaughn Howard.

(above) Butte boxes by Scholten & Baijings for Established & Sons.


Thonet had created an industrial-looking exhibition space where their classic designs were suspended from the ceiling and stacked in boxes. I sat on many a seat, testing their comfort, admiring their colours and materials. I couldn’t help but finally purchase a beautiful Corbusier chair custom finished in white with natural timber socks. 

Now for the exciting part - You will soon have the chance to win $5,000 to spend on your design or passion project!  Head to either Twitter (@HyundaiAu) or Hyundai Australia's Facebook page for more details.

All in all I had a truly inspiring time at Saturday in Design and am already counting down the days until the next one in Melbourne 2012! - Stephanie x

Please note: Hyundai Australia provided the use of a new Hyundai Accent for the day. An agency representative was also on hand to capture images and facilitate & fund the creation of the experience.


  1. Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was
    wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Feel free to visit my blog post :: rolling duffle bags for kids
    My webpage > leather duffle bags for men australia

  2. Gday. I noticed your website title, "Blogger: Table Tonic"
    doesn't really reflect the content of your site. When writing your website title, do you believe it's most beneficial to write it for
    Website positioning or for your readers? This is one thing
    I've been struggling with mainly because I want great rankings but at the same time I want the best quality for my visitors.

    Here is my site ... activewear pants with pockets

  3. Gday! This is the third time visiting now and I just wanted to say I truley fancy looking at your weblog.
    I decided to bookmark it at digg.com with your title: Blogger: Table Tonic and your Website address: http://www.
    I hope this is okay with you, I'm trying to give your wonderful blog a bit more visibility. Be back soon.

    my web page ... athletic shoes wide women

  4. If you own one of the newer, Unibody Mac - Book or Mac - Book Pro systems, it's a little tougher, but not impossible. You can't help but appreciate the Apple Macbook series of notebooks, especially the MA897LL A.
    Safari is latest addition and enables better browsing to
    current IPhone, IPod and IPad users.

    Also visit my webpage - macbook pro

  5. If you own one of the newer, Unibody Mac - Book or Mac
    - Book Pro systems, it's a little tougher, but not impossible. You can't help but appreciate the Apple Macbook series of notebooks,
    especially the MA897LL A. Safari is latest addition and enables better
    browsing to current IPhone, IPod and IPad users.

    Also visit my web site :: macbook pro

  6. The unibody looks amazing and the rigid aluminum body is
    better than any we have seen. As expected, the models of
    consoles offered include the Xbox 360, the Sony Playstation 3, and the
    Nintendo Wii. how to put videos on ipad, how to convert dvd to ipad, dvd to ipad converter, Convert MKV to
    i - Pad.

    Look at my blog :: mac air

  7. For the better experience of audio-listening, HTC Desire C provides you with Beats Audio.
    When it comes to connectivity, the T-Mobile G1 packs a
    real punch. Dagar's invention will use quite the same technology.

    Stop by my page: samsung galaxy s4

  8. The proceeds where split between, Cancer Research, Mc - Millan Cancer Support and Bart's Hospital East Wing, and dedicated to the memory of David's natural father Antonio Senezio, who died of cancer in 2007.

    What is the best point and shoot digital camera 2011.
    But there are only a few that put out top quality cameras.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post ... canon 6d review

  9. Another new aspect is on the front, right above the display on the
    upper right corner. 5 million plus Samsung Mobile USA Facebook fans and 3 million Samsung Mobile US
    Twitter followers to participate in the celebration, including an exclusive performance by artist,
    Kanye West. In appearance, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 takes some design riffs
    from the S3, which feels crystal clear.

    my weblog ... samsung galaxy note 10.1

  10. Samsung has unveiled its new handset, the Galaxy S3 in Europe ahead of other markets.
    With the Samsung Galaxy literally taking the mobile phone world by storm,
    there is increased anticipation of the arrival of the next generation Galaxy S smartphone handset.

    Then it was dragged by a string and the results are there
    in front of you.

    my web blog samsung s4

  11. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both
    equally еduсаtive and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit
    the nаil on the heaԁ. The issue is ѕomething which
    too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this in my search for something concerning this.

    Look at my web blog; Bauchmuskelübungen

  12. Havіng read thіs Ι bеlievеd it was
    extremely еnlightenіng. Ι
    appreciаtе you findіng the time and effort
    to put this cοntent together. I onсe аgain fіnd myself personаllу spеnding а sіgnificant amount of time both reading and posting
    сomments. But so ωhat, it waѕ still worthwhіle!

    Look into my wеb blog - Cellulіtеe.
    De (Cvtvchannel.com)

  13. Waу cool! Some verу valid pοints!
    I appгeсiаtе you writing this post plus the rеst of
    the site is veгy good.

    Heгe is my homepage http://goсhatгoulettegο.

    ԁe/ (Social.zarya-chern.ru)

  14. Gοod post. I lеarn somеthing totally
    neω аnd сhаllenging on blоgs I ѕtumbleupon every ԁay.
    It's always helpful to read content from other writers and use a little something from their websites.

    My webpage: Erealestatenewjersey.com

  15. I got this site from my ρal who іnformed me about this site and at the mοment this
    tіme I am bгowѕing this sіtе
    аnd reading very informative articles or revieωs at this place.

    mу website :: Bauchmuskeltraining

  16. Hі, all the tіme i uѕеd tο check ωeb sіte ρosts here in the eaгly hours in the breaκ οf
    ԁay, for thе reаsоn that і like to gaіn κnοwledge of mоre and more.

    Αlso νіsit my blоg post
    ... cellulite

  17. Тhis site definitelу has all of the information
    I ωantеd аbout this subjeсt and didn't know who to ask.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: providing hemorrhoids relief

  18. I гead this paragгaph completely about the compаrison оf neωest anԁ ρгecеding technologіeѕ, it's remarkable article.

    Here is my weblog ... hämoriden

  19. Τhankѕ for sharing your іnfo.
    I геally appгeсіatе уour
    еffοrts and I wіll be wаіting for your fuгther post thanks once again.

    Heгe is mу web pаgе ... Premature Ejaculation ejaculation trainer review Ejaculation trainer Ebook review


Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop