20 September 2010

On a personal note: We bought a house today!

A few months ago, a fantastic 1950's beach house came on the market on Sydney's Northern beaches, right where we were looking & "400 metres from the surf". Mr Tonic went for a look with Mini Tonic #1. I must have been washing my hair that day, because I didn't go. But Mr Tonic took lots of photos with his iPhone (a hot tip if you're house-hunting - So often we look at potential apartments/houses for 15 minutes then chuck our life savings at them!). But anyway. A week later I did go to the open house, and subsequently gave it the thumbs down. Having just come off the back of a major renovation, I wasn't ready to lose Mr Tonic for another month year of Sundays just yet. The weeks passed. The property went to auction and got passed in. The weeks passed. Mr Tonic and I sold our beautiful house, with the aim of moving up to the beautiful Northern Beaches, 45 minutes by car from where we lived. We made an offer on the new house. We made another offer on the new house. The weeks passed, and we started to talk ourselves out of it. Then today, Mr Tonic calls me. "I may have another birthday present for you, but I'm not sure how you're going to feel about it... They've accepted our offer..." YIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We bought a house! We bought a house! We bought a house! She's beautiful, but she's old, and we plan on restoring the shizz out of her (in between dips at the beach!). So you know I had to share her with you, right? 


(above) That's her! An image from the August 1958 issue of Australian House and Garden magazine(!!). She was designed by an Architect in 1956 as his family home and featured in H&G a couple of years later. She has 4 bedrooms, oodles of glass (gorgeous 50's details a-plenty), trees everywhere, a sprawling backyard... I think we could just be a match made in heaven. Happy days! PS How will I sleep tonight?!

36 comments:

  1. Yipppeeeeee is the word. That's wonderful news. Now we get to be there with you for moving in and (our favourite) decoooorating... ! YIpppeeeee again!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous Louise, how exciting. Great birthday present! I hope you are very happy in your new home and look forward to seeing the progress.SAx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, she has b-e-a-u-tiful lines! Congratulations, that one is for keeps.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic, what a great buy! I love the style of this house and IcCan't wait to see what fabulousness you add to it.

    ps got my cushion today, I love it thank you. But me thinks I might need another!!!! I'll let you know xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a fantastic birthday present. Northern Beaches - how beautiful.

    Sandy K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowee!!! This house was meant for you my dear... HOW EXCITING! A huge congrats to you and your tonics. AND you SO know we will all be waiting oh so eagerly to see what you do with it!!! x P.S slightly envious? Yes siree :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! and p.s. you won't sleep tonight when buyers remorese sets in but just ignore it...it goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. Congrats on the new purchase. I cannot wait for the reno pictures.

    mb from Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  9. That may be the most gorgeous thing I've seen in a month!

    Serious CONGRATULATIONS are in order.

    I cannot wait to see what boho magic glitter you sprinkle on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well- You CAN'T sleep of course! You have WAY too much to do now!!
    How terribly exciting- Congratulations on your new beach abode. It looks sublime, and how lovely for your little ones :)

    Best,
    S.P.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS! What a beauty -- I LOOOOVE your new house! What a fabulous birthday present. Happy, happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh Louise! Its an amazing house, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, big congratulations! I'm no interior decorator nor renovator but just the picture of the facade conjures up a list of endless possibilities for design. Amazing!

    BuBbles
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW congratulations what an awesome birthday present!! Can't wait to see how it will transform. And perfect time to move to the beach - just in time for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That house is seriously gorgeous. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I luv it! Bring on the Palm Springs/Palm Desert coffee table books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous house - I can only image the magic you will work on her. Have a load of fun.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, that looks like one fantastic project you have there Louise! Can't wait to see you work your reno magic on it. Congratulations! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! It's a keeper :) Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is what I call a HOUSE!! It is just gorgeous. I lived in Avalon for four years some time ago in a lovely 1950s home - not nearly as interesting as your new one - but simple lines with a few key 50s touches. Sold it a few years ago - and guess what? They knocked it down! Criminal. I can only imagine how much fun you'll have restoring that beauty. It's exactly the sort of place I love to photograph.

    Louise, www.52suburbs.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sooooooo excited for you!!!

    What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG it is truly DIVINE....CONGRATULATIONS and all the very best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's bloody fantifuloso! Brilliant! Big congratulations. (Lucky house too).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! Look forward to seeing how make it transform into a beautiful home :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You'll never sleep tonight - that's far too exciting. Can't wait to see every step of the renovation...

    ReplyDelete
  26. CONGRATS!!!!! I will feng shui anything you want-ask away!!! This place is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow wee. Love it. More pics PLEASE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now you just need Monsieur Adler to drop by! Britta x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this web site on regular basis to get updated from most recent news update.

    Here is my webpage; click the Following post

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ӏ am truly glаd to read thіѕ webpage posts ωhich includes tonѕ of valuable factѕ,
    thаnks fοr pгοvіding thesе kinds of data.


    my web-sіtе wonderdogblog.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
  31. Мy brother гeсommendеd
    I would possibly lіke this blog. He wаs
    once еntirelу гight. This submіt
    truly made my ԁay. Υou саnn't consider just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my web page - http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop