15 August 2010

On my bookshelf: "It Tastes Better" by Kylie Kwong

My local bookstore recently had an eye-catching window display for Kylie Kwong's new book, It Tastes Better - let's just say it involved chicken eggs & straw, but really grabbed my attention. And rightly so. It's a beautiful book, featuring 100 simple and vibrant recipes, created with sustainable produce in mind. I've got a few recipes to share with you over the coming weeks, so stay tuned! First up is "Mum's Butterfly cakes" (the perfect post for a Sunday, right?):


{ Mum’s Butterfly Cakes } 
"When I was growing up my parents held many dinner parties, and I always loved to help with the cooking. Mum would delight her guests with 12-course Cantonese style banquets, somewhat curiously completing the meal with an array of very Australian cakes and sweets! Mum’s butterfly cakes have won the hearts of many over the years – and now her gorgeous granddaughter Indy shows every sign of following in her grandma’s footsteps…"

250 g butter
1 cup (220 g) caster sugar
2 eggs
2½ cups (375 g) unbleached self-raising flour
1 cup (250 ml) milk
1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthways and seeds scraped out
300 ml whipping cream
icing sugar, for dusting
blueberries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. With an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating each in until well combined. Add sifted flour, milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3. Spoon mixture into patty tins lined with paper patty cases. Bake towards the top of the oven for about 15–17 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove cakes from patty tins and allow to cool.
4. Slice tops off cooled cakes, and fill cakes with freshly whipped cream. Carefully cut tops in half and arrange these ‘butterfly wings’ on the cream. Sprinkle a handful of blueberries on and around each cake, then dust with icing sugar before serving.
(Makes 30)


Click here to buy It Tastes Better (Book Depository).
Click here to buy It Tastes Better (Booktopia).

6 comments:

  1. Wow this book and recipes look divine and inspiring!! Have a lovely weekend Louise!!!

    XO

    Lise M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of
    plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being ripped off? I'd certainly appreciate it.


    Check out my webpage justcheel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively helpful and it has aided me out
    loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its aided me. Great job.

    My site :: win-prizes-money.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a topic which is close to my heart... Best wishes!

    Exactly where are your contact details though?


    Also visit my blog post: Magnetized Flashlights

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly enjoyed
    every bit of it. I have you book marked to check out new stuff you
    post…

    Here is my blog; goodwill online store

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop