22 April 2010

When is a bathroom not just a bathroom?

From New York magazine's Home Design section (well worth poking around!), comes this little gem: Q: When Is a Bathroom Not Just a Bathroom? A: When it’s equal parts reading, dressing, and meditation room.
The Clients: Eric and Donna Garfinkel, psychiatrist and teacher, Upper West Side
The Designer: Clodagh
The Wish List: “She likes showers, he likes tubs,” says Clodagh. Other than that, the clients wanted privacy, a comfortable chair to nap in, and “joy, light, and texture.” Although the Garfinkels wanted the master suite on the floor below, Clodagh pushed to give over the entire top floor to take advantage of the treetop views.
The Solution: A deep soaking tub, a fireplace, and a microfiber drape that can separate the space into a dressing room, bathroom, and bedroom. When the parents want privacy, they draw the curtain. “One takes a soak while the other reads,” says Clodagh.

1. Curtain wall: Made by Beckenstein Fabric & Interiors, it can be pulled to close off the lounge/dressing area. 2. Bathtub: Called the Zen tub and made by Neptune, it has a whirlpool and mass-air jets. 3. Poured-concrete surround: The surround, hearth, and floor were made by Robert Younger. 4. The stones: Pebbles under the sink and tub “are meant to represent eternity,” says Clodagh. “And you can heat one and give yourself a hot-stone treatment.” 5. Sink:  From Duravit/Starck, it had the right proportion for the heft of the countertop. The cabinets, by Wood-O-Rama, add warmth to the concrete.
Source: New York magazine


  1. Swoonalicous! What a space. I don't think I would ever leave. I've always dreamt of a bathroom with an open fire in...pure luxury.

  2. An open fire with a deep bath .. don't think i have ever seen such an image/design .. great find, great space .. a dream space.

  3. Ah how I wish I was the inhabitants of this house. :)

  4. Amazing bathroom!
    To me they are such an important room and has to be so much more than a practical facility.

    This one is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

    x Charlotta

  5. just beautiful! simply serene.

  6. Hi, this weekend is fastidious designed for me, as this moment i am reading this impressive
    informative post here at my home.

    Feel free to visit my web site :: buy Solar panels sharp

  7. you're truly a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a excellent job in this topic!

    My site: laser stretch mark removal

  8. I think the admin of this website is truly working hard for his
    web site, for the reason that here every material is quality based stuff.

    My page: how to get rid of stretch marks

  9. I was suggested this web site by means of my cousin.
    I am no longer positive whether or not this put up is written
    by way of him as nobody else realize such exact approximately my difficulty.
    You are wonderful! Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my web page - buy solar cells florida

  10. Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar
    one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks?
    If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

    Take a look at my website ... laser stretch mark removal

  11. Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads
    up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but
    I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

    My homepage how to get rid of stretch marks

  12. Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.

    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo
    News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Many thanks

    Visit my blog - heatherarbiter.com

  13. First off I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick
    question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I have had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Thank you!

    Check out my blog stretch mark creams

  14. This is my first time visit at here and i am actually pleassant
    to read everthing at single place.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog; synology-forum.ru

  15. Hello, its nice post about media print, we all understand media is
    a great source of facts.

    Here is my web blog - How to get rid of stretch marks

  16. I got this web site from my buddy who informed me concerning this
    website and now this time I am browsing this web site and reading very informative posts at this time.

    Also visit my blog :: mederma stretch mark Therapy reviews

  17. Very nice article, just what I was looking for.

    Here is my blog - how to get rid of stretch marks

  18. I absolutely love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to create my own personal blog and would like to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Thanks!

    Also visit my website - How to get rid of stretch marks

  19. Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this, like you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few percent to pressure the message house a little bit, but instead of that, this is
    fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

    My page; ford ranger

  20. Hey! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the good information
    you’ve got right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to
    your weblog for more soon.

    Also visit my website: 2005 cherished teddies collectors guide


Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop