15 January 2010

My "execution meal": Warm pear tart with blue cheese and honey

I hadn't heard of Tyler Florence until 3 minutes ago (had you?). Needless to say, he is now on my radar. In a big way.


tylerflorence

Warm pear tart with blue cheese and honey
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry cut in half lengthwise to make 2 long rectangles
450g blanched almonds
1/4 cup sugar
6 pears (use 3 different varieties, with different shapes and colors), stemmed and sliced (seeds, skins, and all)
Honey
4 ounces good-quality blue cheese
1 egg white beaten with a drizzle of water, for glazing

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lay one of the pastry rectangles on the back of a sheet pan; save the other rectangle for another use. Use a pairing knife to score a line around the perimeter of the rectangle, about 1 inch from the edge, to make a border. Use a fork to poke holes inside the border so that the dough will remain flat as it cooks; the border will puff to create a lip for the tart.

2. Combine the almonds, sugar and 1 tablespoon of water in a food processor and grind to a paste. Spread the paste over just the inside of the pastry rectangle. Arrange the pear slices over the almond paste. Drizzle with honey and crumble the blue cheese over the top.

3. Brush the pastry border with egg glaze and bake until the pastry is puffed and browned, 25 to 30 minutes. 

PS Thanks to wherethesidewalkbegins for the tip off!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Louise, just discovered you via the Happy Home. What a fun and witty blog you have. I'm having fun reading your past posts. You'll be a regular pitstop for me.
    Cheers
    Engracia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just noticed you added me to your blogroll, thanks for the blog love! I'm really enjoying reading up on some of your older posts! This recipe looks like one of those easy ones that knocks out your guests and fools them into thinking you are gourmet (my most favorite kind!)... yum. Filing this one away for the next dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louise, just discovered you via the Happy Home. What a fun and witty blog you have. I'm having fun reading your past posts. You'll be a regular pitstop for me.
    Cheers
    Engracia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop